Heroes of Newerth Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[S2]-Garena HoN Mid Wars Madness - Strategy Thread

S2 Staff Member

[S2]-Garena HoN Mid Wars Madness - Strategy Thread

Hi Everyone! My name is Lupin_3rd and I’m an employee of S2 working in the Regional Department and I work directly with Garena on a daily basis. In preparation for Mid Wars and during the coming weeks, I would like to share with you heroes the staff of Garena and S2 feel are great heroes to start off your adventures into Mid Wars. Each Day I will be updating this post to include information on item builds and play-styles for the heroes. I am by no means a professional player and these are suggestions that I have gotten from people in S2 and Garena staff including my own.

Rift Walker
    riftwalker.jpg
    This hero I really love to play in Mid Wars! Her ult is great for initiating and you should always be spamming her spells if they aren’t on cool down. The Q ability, Cascade Event is great for setting up your allies who have good AOE spells. This ability also synergizes really well with Rift Burn and Forsaken Archer’s ability Crippling Volley and Midas’s abilities as well. With this hero it’s best to spam your spells and stay back letting someone else take the damage. I typically wait for one of my tanks to initiate and then I use my ultimate to follow up and quickly use my Q and E ability. From there, I use Shared Existence to grab any enemies that think they might be getting away from our team.

Starting Item Build
    Mana Battery – Mana potions x2 – Minor Totems x2 – Health Potion – ward

I quickly put the ward up on the other side of the river to give our team sight so we can use our spells to target them easier.

Mid Game Build
    Power Supply – Grave Locket – Vestments – Helm of the Black Legion

Late game items will depend on who you are playing against and I typically get Spellshards and Harkons Blade. In most Mid Wars games I play, I find it extremely useful to build tanky. What I mean by this is I get a lot of defensive items like Shaman’s Headdresss and Helm of the Black Legion so I can absorb as much damage as possible and still get my spells off.

Midas
    midas_hon.jpg
    This is another amazing hero to play in Mid Wars. I really like him once he hits level 6. The reason is typically in Mid Wars, everyone gets clumped together and is trying to fight one another. This is extremely useful if you are trying to capture people in your abilities to activate your ultimate Transmute.

Starting Item Build
    Amulet of Exile – Runes of Blight

From here I try to get a Ring of Sorcery ASAP. This not only helps out myself and also the casters on the team for endless spamming of our spells. I then head for Spellshards and Steamboots followed by vestments and Helm of the Black Legion.

Mid Game Build
    Ring of Sorcery – Steamboots – Vestments – Helm of the Black Legion

Late game I go for maxing Spellshards, Frostburn and Savage Mace.

Artesia
    artesia_hon.jpg
    This is another great hero for team fights and her ultimate is amazing for keeping your team alive and increasing your damage output. If you haven’t noticed, I like casters for Mid Wars! Don’t worry I will be doing a variety of heroes that fill various roles and are fun to play in Mid Wars. I typically try to use Arcane missile as much as I can when enemies are close. For this hero I build my Q first and my E second, getting my W last. This allows me to effectively harass the enemies and stay at a distance.

Starting Build
    Health Potion – Mana Potion – Runes of Blight – Pretender’s Crown – Mark of the Novice

Similar to the above heroes discussed, I rush for Ring of Sorcery and defensive items such as Steamboots, Helm of the Black Legion and vestments. If I feel I can take out enemies with my team I will get Grave Locket before Helm of the Black Legion.

Mid Game – Late Game Build
    Spell Shards – Grave Locket - Codex

Armadon
    Armadonhero.gif
    Armadon is a straight up beast in Mid Wars. Don't be surprised if people ban him because he is definitely ban worthy. His ability to constantly harass the opposing team with spines and tank like a boss is what makes this hero a rock star in Mid Wars. It's best to max his spines ability first and then his snot skill.

Starting Build
    Mana Battery - Gaurdian Ring - Minor Totem

I get the mana battery early because I anticipate players targeting me with all of their abilities early on. This allows me to spam my spines ability like a boss.

Mid Game - Late Game Build
    Helm of the Black Legion - Shaman's Headdress - Shrunken Head - Frostfield Plate

This combination of items allows me to walk in and spam my spines and snot people. The moment a team fight starts I typically activate Frostfield Plate to slow down enemies or I will wait a minute and use it to help us pick off enemies running away. Shrunken head assures I will be protected from the mass AOE that happens in Mid Wars

Behemoth
    Attachment 7377

This hero is a hero that is definitely ban worthy and if he hasn't been banned already you should pick him up! Not to mention with the new Minotaur alt avatar you'll be crushing dreams in style! His ability to pick players off and separate an entire team from the safety of his own side of the river is a huge asset to the team. His contributions to the group are similar to Devourer in that his ability can be used from the other side of the river and effective for picking members of the opposing team off. His skill set is one that should not be underestimated.

Starting Build
    Amulet of Exile - Runes of Blight

I start out with these in Mid Wars so I can quickly get a mana ring. This allows me to be able to use my spells frequently and keep the casters on my team with lots of mana.

Mid - Late game Build
    Portal Key - Frostfield Plate - Codex Level 5

I will be updating this post every day for as long as we keep this discussion going! So the more input you put in the more I will put in! Please keep posts to discussion about playing heroes and strategies and try not to flame anyone or say one idea is worse than another. Different strategies work at different levels of MMR and we’re all here to have fun!

A quick reminder, this is not the thread to ask questions regarding anything other than the discussion of Mid Wars and the topic at hand, which is strategy in Mid Wars and the game mode itself. If players want me to start a Q&A thread I have no issue doing this but keep this type of comment at the end of your post regarding Mid Wars or you can send me a PM directly requesting I start a Q&A thread. I will try my best to answer as many questions as I can so please be patient.

I look forward to the awesome discussion here with my fellow community members of Garena HoN!
    Last edited by Lupin_third; 19-05-12 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Improvement

Flux. His ulti basically gets more power since the map is smaller.

Balphagore. Deadly damage when in a clash.
    A ghost from the past returns.

Permanently Suspended

Aluna - Power Throw
    Armadon - Spike Burst
    Hammer Storm - Hammer Throw
    Artillery - (All of his skill set)

S2 Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by madara_oman View Post
    Flux. His ulti basically gets more power since the map is smaller.

Balphagore. Deadly damage when in a clash.
    Quote Originally Posted by xkakuii View Post
    Aluna - Power Throw
    Armadon - Spike Burst
    Hammer Storm - Hammer Throw
    Artillery - (All of his skill set)
    I will be adding this in with each days passing, thank you for your input!

What builds do you guys use on these heroes?

Emerald Warden, talking about Diva

IGN: HoNZhai / GHoN Head Moderator
    Badass KDR Stats: MMR

Guides:
    - Author of Premium Guide: Monkey King v2.0
    - Simplified Chat Macro Guide for some G-Dropping!

Devourer should be a common pick since he can single out an enemy hero from a safe distance. Gauntlet could also do well, assuming he can land Grapple and also has a good ulti.

Gladiator has a good AoE skillset, and the perma 5v5 nature of midwars should allow him to hit at least 2 people with his skills.

Maliken seems like a decent carry since he has good damage his his Sword Throw + ulti and can mow down a team if farmed properly.

Behemoth seems like a good idea since he can pick off low-HP heroes and should not be as restricted in terms of mana since another teammate can get mana ring for him.

Magmus is a so-so choice. Mainly I assume people would get him for his ulti.

Pebbles' AoE and utility with Chuck will be good since all of the enemies will be in one lane. Though you cannot instagib that much, Stalag will still be a good initiating tool.

Pyro, Bubbles, Midas, Ellonia, Engi, TB, Bomb, Plague, Hag, SR, Myrm, and Geo are all Intel heroes that I think are the best choices for AoE/stun capabilities. In general, these heroes should be careful with spellspamming since it is safe to assume that the enemy team will have Power Supplies as well. Its best to unleash the nukes when you can get a sure kill. Harassing with spells may work, but keep them at a minimum because of Power Supply/Mana Battery.

Poly, HB, and Tort are pretty good pushers though Tort's impalement was nerfed and Poly's Wards & HB's Malphas are pretty much high CD ultimates. Laning wise, these heroes are okay but do not offer as much as other INTs.

Aka Afterburn.

UID: 4420868
    IGN: Afterburn

Thor thunderbringer and ellonia will basically spam you to death!

+ Glacius for mana support & tundra blast

To support TB in MIdWars
    Last edited by ccub3; 16-05-12 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupin_third View Post
    I will be adding this in with each days passing, thank you for your input!

What builds do you guys use on these heroes?
    Flux = Same build i would on a normal game. PK/Frostwolf/Steamboots

Balphagore = Barrier/HotBL/Plated Greaves/Power Supply/Frostfield Plate/Abyssal(helpful aura for close quarter fights) or Puzzle Box.

AoE heroes dominate here because the Battlefield has been significantly minimized and clashes become more frequent.
    A ghost from the past returns.

[MODS] Senior Forum Moderator

Devourer should be insta-picked if he isn't banned. Same goes for artillery.

One thing I think would be great for Mid Wars is parasite; stack the neutral camp then kill it and you'd be level 3 while the others are still stuck at level 1. (unless the neutral camp is warded, though.)

Forum Moderators are not Garena employees. My posts in no way represent the view of Garena or any of its staff.
    -----------------------------

IGN:Rokkun/Ventus

PM me if ya need help with anything

Lupin_third , i got some question . mind sending me an PM ? Cause it is really2 important for me to ask you S2 Staff . Because you guy's are mostly the main of this game . Thanks :P . Please Reply
    IGN : iVerminer
    UID : 48799057
    Username : peterfreedom93

Last edited by scarecr0w141; 16-05-12 at 12:44 PM.

S2 Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterfreedom93 View Post
    Lupin_third , i got some question . mind sending me an PM ? Cause it is really2 important for me to ask you S2 Staff . Because you guy's are mostly the main of this game . Thanks :P . Please Reply
    Please keep all posts in this thread related to discussion of Mid Wars strategy. If you feel you need to speak with me, please send me a PM.

Thank you

Um..... Behemoth and dev really dominate this map...
    Behemoth: Ring of sorcery, pk, and straight restoration stone.... Boots of your choice
    Dev..... Basic, no comment =.=
    IGN: SBK_Kyle
    UID: 7050424
    Favorite Heroes: Demented Shaman, Doctor Repulsor, Jeraziah, Matyr, Silhouette

Quote Originally Posted by scarecr0w141 View Post
    That list has quite a number of mistakes. Maliken is definitely at least Awesome tier because of how much damage he can deal out with just Steamboots and Insani. Bomb IMO should be at least Good tier because he does a decent amount of AoE. The list seems to only count the abilities of the hero and does not factor in the hero's full potential with items.

Aka Afterburn.

Quote Originally Posted by Eithrill View Post
    That list has quite a number of mistakes. Maliken is definitely at least Awesome tier because of how much damage he can deal out with just Steamboots and Insani. Bomb IMO should be at least Good tier because he does a decent amount of AoE. The list seems to only count the abilities of the hero and does not factor in the hero's full potential with items.
    Mid Wars is pretty much decided on how well your early game is, wherein skills are looked at and items are not major factors. Also expect the list to change as more strategies are brought up into the table.
    Last edited by scarecr0w141; 16-05-12 at 05:21 PM.

Any hero that is item dependent gets their items faster in Mid Wars. Because of this, some heroes (like Maliken or Behe) can gain ground easily because of Mid Wars mechanics. Yes, early game performance matters, but people sometimes assume that some heroes aren't good mainly because they think the only viable ones are ones that can push/AoE their way through a lane straight to the main building.

Aka Afterburn.

In Mid Wars it is a priority to snowball by stomping the team by out-CC them and gibbing them as much as possible, thus the go-to-heroes are usually the ones with huge nukes and reliable CC.

guys, i got a "HoNor medallion" wazzat suppose to mean?
    `~MFW I'm playing drunkmaster~`
    "IGN: xAcidx"

Quote Originally Posted by scarecr0w141 View Post
    In Mid Wars it is a priority to snowball by stomping the team by out-CC them and gibbing them as much as possible, thus the go-to-heroes are usually the ones with huge nukes and reliable CC.
    While that is true, you are not considering heroes that contribute with raw damage. Carries are basically slow-snowballing heroes in Normal Mode, but the gold gain in Mid Wars essentially ensures you can at least get a Shrunken Head by level 6 if you aren't a dumbass. Maliken in particular does very good damage with Steamboots and Insanitarius alone. My point is that there are several ways to play Mid Wars; the tier list given underestimates the strength of some heroes in the Mid Wars scenario.

Aka Afterburn.

just play few match

andro ->kinda fun with ultimate ,if get tablet is super fun

nympora ->fail.. i will try look at teammate before i choose :\

riftwalker ->82assits ...=X
    IGN : Syhice , UID:26422178 ~ New Patch Alt Avatar , My Sketch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast